The Twitter Experiment


So after discovering twitter and this post on the Etsy Forums:

Sharing my Twitter Strategy : 11000 followers by CatherinetteRings
http://www.etsy.com/forums_thread.php?thread_id=6127828

I was totally and utterly inspired. I figured that I had discovered one of those essential keys to success, a springboard that would launch my Etsy shop. Well....I was totally wrong, I found this approach was a total failure for me.

Now, don't get me wrong, this approach can work wonders for the right person but it didn't for me. I just want to lay out how I did it and why it failed for me.

What is this approach?
- Basically, using bulk upload programs, you receive hundreds, if not thousands of new twitter followers in a very short period of time.

What's my problem with it?
- When I started using these mass following tools, I was getting so many new followers but sometimes, quality means more than quantity, and honestly, this was one of those times. It was like 1 in every 25 wasn't a spammer (i.e. click here to get rich now, follow my strategy to make millions, look at my boobs, etc).
- I was being flooded by the number of tweets, that were irrelevant or spammy. I couldn't really connect with anyone, it got boring really, really fast.

So after 5500 followers and I'm just going to delete the account, it would take way too much time to go through each and every follower, to filter out the bad ones.

What am I going to do?
- I'm deleting my current Twitter account and I just opened up a new Twitter account. One that I will choose who I follow carefully. To ensure each contact is someone I would like to talk to and here what they're doing.

What do I think the key to Twitter is?
- I think Twitter is about connecting with people have similiar interests, and if your running a business, they should be your target market too.
- Spam Bots are not your target market!

Well, I just wanted to share that will everyone. Hopefully, after reading this post, someone else will avoid making the same mistakes I did :(

Thanks for listening!

1 comments:

Niki said...

Thanks for the post! I read that same forum post and wondered about trying it myself. Sorry it worked out so crappy for you! I personally like finding the forum threads where everyone is posting their twitter links and I go through the lists and check them all out and follow who I like. Most follow back too.

Post a Comment

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online